Become a Friend

Visitor information


MK16 9LB


Contact the office for access details: email us / call us: +44 (0)204 520 4458 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm)

OS grid reference


The Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary - St Mary's for short - is a quintessential medieval country church.

Dating mostly from the 13th to 15th centuries, it’s delicately decorated with traceried windows, quatrefoil columns and a battlemented parapet.


Despite being listed Grade I, St Mary’s was set to be sold for a domestic conversion in 1982. At this point, we stepped in and, with the help of local supporters, took this wonderful church into our care.

Much of the church dates from the 13th and 15th centuries, but traces of an older church are found in the porch, where fragments of a broken carved Norman font have been built into the walls.

The nave and tower were built in the mid-13th century. A few decades later, the south aisle was added to the nave. As the congregation grew and more space was needed, in the 14th century, the north aisle was added. Shortly after this, the chancel was rebuilt to its current design.

At the turn of the 15th century, the south porch was erected. Later in that century, the nave was heightened, and the clerestory, a row of windows, was added to allow light to fill the body of the nave.

Monuments to the Catesby family can be found in the north aisle. The Catesbys held the manor at Hardmead throughout the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries. (Robert Catesby, Gunpowder Plot conspirator, was from a branch of this Catesby family.) One especially interesting monument is to Francis Catesby. He died in 1636, and his effigy is depicted as lying on a bed of books!

In the chancel, is a terrific carving of the schooner yacht, “Nancy Dawson”. This marble monument remembers Robert Shedden, who died in 1849 searching the Arctic for the lost expedition of Sir John Franklin.

In 2021 and 2022 we were awarded grants from the Culture Recovery Fund towards repairs at Hardmead, including new roofs and crenellations, new drainage, masonry repairs, glazing repairs and internal replastering and redecoration.

Friends Hardmead-24
Friends Hardmead-32


  • Scratch-dial on the south elevation
  • Fragments of the Norman font in the internal porch walls
  • Naively carved 15th-century font
  • Fine Georgian organ
  • Mural monument to Francis Catesby (d. 1636)
  • Monument to Robert Shedden (d. 1849), and the fine carving of his schooner yacht
  • Fragments of figurative 14th-century stained glass
  • Wellingtonia (giant Sequoia) tree in the churchyard

Further reading

Please use these links if you would like to know more about the church and the surrounding area

Newsletter sign up

Keep up to date with our latest news and learn more about the churches in our care by signing up for our email newsletter.