St John the Baptist is listed Grade II and was conveyed to the Friends in 2011 when no other solution could be found. Though it retains some Romanesque fabric, it was largely rebuilt in 19th century by its priest-architect, Father William Grey (1820-72).
Castlemartin is cut into a steeply sloping rock bank outside the town centre.
A Grade I listed 15th century former private chapel with a salmon pink interior and fine monuments to the Ayshford family. Approached via private farmland – take care not to shut inquisitive sheep in the church!
Ballidon All Saints sits in a tightly enclosed churchyard in the middle of a wide, open field. This bucolic setting, in which sheep and cattle graze, is an important archaeological site from the Early-Late Medieval period.
St Mary’s is famous for two products of the 15th century – the churchyard cross with its intricate biblical sculptures (which we don’t own) and, inside the church (which we do), the medieval rood screen and rare, elaborately panelled, loft above, from where it is believed the priest would have read the gospel during Holy Week.
St Mary of the Angels is our first Roman Catholic church, and, as it was only completed in 1937, it is also our most modern vesting. Designed by WD Caroe at the end of his career, Brownshill has passed to us through the determination of local people to save it.
The earliest fabric of St Denis’s dates to 1217, but much of the surviving medieval elements are from the 14th-century. Most of extant work is that of 19th-century architect William Butterfield.
A rare example of a surviving Arts and Crafts-influenced church by the architect John Coates Carter, re-invented from fragmentary medieval ruins in 1926-7 and characteristic of the architect’s later work in its use of indigenous materials and identifiably Welsh vernacular motifs.
St Mary used to be a wayside church, hugging the edge of the Great Cambridge Road until this was diverted. It is now a well-kept secret – the only sign leading to it reading simply ‘Byroad’. It passed to us after the heroic group that took it on when it closed sought a long-term solution.
A tiny church with ancient origins sitting in timeless melancholy at the edge of the East Coast Mainline.
- Page 1 of 2