A modest but evocative late Georgian Anglican box with Gothick windows, and a completely intact, single chamber interior. The chief joy is the painted and panelled pulpit and reading desk, the former so tall it almost touches the ceiling with its sounding board.
St Mark’s is barely glimpsed from the road, but once you are close, it reveals itself as the single most extraordinary exotic amongst our Welsh holdings. It dates from 1895-8 and is the work of the nationally important architect, Henry Wilson (1864-1934).
© Andy Marshall © Andy Marshall © Andy Marshall © Andy Marshall © Andy Marshall © Andy Marshall © Andy Marshall © Andy Marshall © Andy Marshall © Andy Marshall …
The remnant of a medieval village, in soft clunch and dating from the 14th and 15th centuries – Caldecote retains an elaborate canopied stoup, a fine font, and is host to a Fuchsia Festival each Summer.
Old St Luke, which sits in the same churchyard as the Victorian church that replaced it, was one of our very first vestings in 1974. It has survived against the odds, not least because it is one of the most loved of all our churches – with an active group of Local Friends.
St Mary’s was in a sorry state when the Friends took it on in 1975 , and chronic movement has led to severe cracking in the nave and chancel. We have carried out an extensive programme of underpinning and conserved the fragile mural paintings in the nave.
Located on the Llyn Peninsula, looking out to the Irish Sea, Penllech, which means ‘end of the rock’ or ‘head-stone’, was vested with us in 2009 and is medieval in origin, rebuilt by Samuel Jones in 1840.
For a tiny and once very forlorn church, St John the Baptist is now a hive of activity – with volunteer local friends organizing everything from a corn dolly workshop, to medieval music, to hedge-laying, to an exploration of English font stones. The ‘Spirit of Sutterby’ is an exemplar project bringing the community together.
The clue that you have arrived at St Beuno’s is the gloriously organic lychgate in slate, reconstructed in the 19th century but originally dated 1698. This structure alone testifies to the geological richness of the site, an elevated oval churchyard with monuments of all forms and status.