At St Andrew’s everything is roofless – as it has been since 1866 when a window was blown in during divine service. But this doesn’t stop this Grade II* church being used each August for an annual service held by local people.
Old St David’s lies on the pilgrimage route to the cathedral of the same dedication and next to the Teifi River. Frequent flooding led to a new church being built on the other side of the river in the 19th century, and its redundancy in the late 20th. Our only church with a coracle!
St Leonards is a classic village church – double-cell with a tall, narrow nave of almost Anglo-Saxon proportions and a doll-like chancel rebuilt in Neo-Norman by an unknown hand in 1844. Closed and proposed for demolition in the 1970’s, now in use as an artists’ workshop.
Deep in the Golden Valley, on an unclassified road leading up from Peterchurch to Urishay Common, lies a building raised up from the road which looks for all the world like a barn. It is in fact the earliest purpose-built chapel to a castle in Herefordshire.
Designed by ‘Wales’ first architect’ John Jones and of the first churches in the county built according to the principles of the Ecclesiological Society; preaching the ‘virtues’ of the Gothic style – with deep chancels to concentrate the mind on the altar and a prime location by the entrance into the interior for the font.
An ancient and beautiful church glimpsed each day by hundreds of commuters on the East Coast Mainline in Cambridgeshire – and blessed with a very committed and energetic group of Local Friends.
- Page 2 of 2