Earliest fabric 1217, reused medieval stonework, important 17th century cartouche to Downing family in S porch (founders of Downing College, Cambs). Most of extant work is that of 19th C architect William Butterfield, showing High Victorian fondness for polychromatic stone and brickwork outside, and an interior which retains font, and ghosts of pulpit and reredos – but otherwise the building is probably in worst state of any that we have taken into care, as it was effectively stripped out (even the floorboards) before its acquisition by South Cambs Council.
Having carried out an initial programme of works they have passed it on to us with a decent dowry. Butterfield reused the medieval roof timbers as floor joists, and our repair plan includes a glass section of floor to show these off. We plan to replace the E window with relocated stained glass. We must tread carefully as a colony of bats live here (as does a family of rare cave spiders in the crypt under the S porch).