St Figael (St Migael) would not be here now but for the Reverend Edgar Jones. Edgar adopted the building when it closed and saw it through the thick and thin of Welsh weather before we were able to take it into permanent care in 2007.
One of our newest vestings in Wales, St Michael is late medieval in origin and notable for its two rather battered effigies – one to Ann Martel who died in 1270, with a greyhound at her feet, and the other, supposed to be her husband, John, in chainmail with his sword and tunic.
A single-cell, medieval interior dominated by its 15th century cusped and braced roof. Notable for its connection with David Lloyd George who championed the right of a Non-conformist to be buried there in 1888, and Clough Williams-Ellis, whose family seat is nearby and who knew and loved the church.
Constructed in the distinctive Old Red Sandstone of Monmouthshire, and sitting in a near-circular ancient churchyard, the stonework of St David’s tells many stories of alteration and infilling. The interior was untouched by the Victorians, and the medieval rood loft survives.
A Grade I listed church with an attractive tall tower to the north and one of the finest medieval screens in Wales, dating from the 15th century . Restored in the 19th century by JP Seddon, with notable floor tiles and stained glass.
Accessible only by foot, off a remote country road, Llantrisant dates from the 14th century, and is surrounded by a boundary wall so high it feels defensive. Maybe it is this sense of mystery that makes it one of the most remote but at the same time one of the most visited of all our churches.
Old St David’s lies on the pilgrimage route to the cathedral of the same dedication and next to the Teifi River. Frequent flooding led to a new church being built on the other side of the river in the 19th century, and its redundancy in the late 20th. Our only church with a coracle!
Located on the Llyn Peninsula, looking out to the Irish Sea, Penllech, which means ‘end of the rock’ or ‘head-stone’, was vested with us in 2009 and is medieval in origin, rebuilt by Samuel Jones in 1840.
The clue that you have arrived at St Beuno’s is the gloriously organic lychgate in slate, reconstructed in the 19th century but originally dated 1698. This structure alone testifies to the geological richness of the site, an elevated oval churchyard with monuments of all forms and status.
Dedicated to St Decumanus and dating from the 14th century, with an unusual plan including 3 chapels. In 1994 the oil refinery behind the church blew up and burned for 36 hours; the village was cleared and with no congregation left it was declared redundant and passed to the Friends in 2005.