A modest but evocative late Georgian Anglican box with Gothick windows, and a completely intact, single chamber interior. The chief joy is the painted and panelled pulpit and reading desk, the former so tall it almost touches the ceiling with its sounding board.
St Mark’s is barely glimpsed from the road, but once you are close, it reveals itself as the single most extraordinary exotic amongst our Welsh holdings. It dates from 1895-8 and is the work of the nationally important architect, Henry Wilson (1864-1934).
Despite the availability of level sites nearby, the church at Castlemartin is cut in to a steeply sloping rock bank outside the town centre. Perhaps the proximity to a stream …
St Mary’s is famous for two products of the 15th century – the churchyard cross with its intricate biblical sculptures (which we don’t own) and, inside the church (which we do), the medieval rood screen and rare, elaborately panelled, loft above, from where it is believed the priest would have read the gospel during Holy Week.
The little church of St Anno clings to the banks of the River Ithon. From the outside, it is a simple, symmetrical structure of grey limestone, yet within is one …
St Michael and All Angels is a small church built of Old Red Sandstone rubble. Grade I listed, it is located in the peaceful setting of Llantrisant Fawr, Monmouthshire. The …
Priests at Hodgeston were fortunate in being provided with a finely carved tripartite seat (known as a sedilia) to repose on during the service. But this seat is rather special – it dates from the 14th century, was probably paid for by Bishop Henry de Gower (1328-47), and carved by the same craftsmen he employed at St David’s and Lamphey.
Standing in isolation at the end of its raised grassy causeway, and said to have been founded by St Peulan himself in the 6th century, Llanbeulan church dates from the 12th century and retains a rectangular Norman stone font of great significance – and much scholarly debate.
Llandawke St Odoceus was rescued from dereliction in 2006 and is found just off the tourist trail – a short drive from Laugharne, home of Dylan Thomas, with many fine beaches, castles, and picturesque walks nearby.
A rare example of a surviving Arts and Crafts-influenced church by the architect John Coates Carter, re-invented from fragmentary medieval ruins in 1926-7 and characteristic of the architect’s later work in its use of indigenous materials and identifiably Welsh vernacular motifs.