The tiny little church at Llancillo, vested with us in 2007, is probably the most difficult of all our buildings to find – but the search is worth it. The key hangs in the porch but the door is only locked to keep out the sheep.
St Mary’s is both peculiar and picturesque. Set in to the chalkland of the Cranborne Chase, the design combines a late medieval tower with a nave, transept and apse built …
Dismayed by the ‘Low churchmanship’ of the nearby parish church, Mrs Louisa Harris decided to erect her own private chapel, and assembled a glittering array of artists to execute it. Architect: Sir Guy Dawber. Date: 1897.
There has been a church on the site of St John the Baptist for nearly a thousand years, but the distinctive chequerboard design of clunch (limestone) and knapped flint you see today was a rebuilding of 1852-4 by the Ecclesiologist JH Sperling.
A Grade I listed church with an attractive tall tower to the north and one of the finest medieval screens in Wales, dating from the 15th century . Restored in the 19th century by JP Seddon, with notable floor tiles and stained glass.
St Dogfael’s church, Meline is an exercise in High Victorian geometry with “minimal extraneous detail”. The church was built by Robert Jewell Withers in 1864 for Gothic romanticist Sir Thomas …
Designed by ‘Wales’ first architect’ John Jones and of the first churches in the county built according to the principles of the Ecclesiological Society; preaching the ‘virtues’ of the Gothic style – with deep chancels to concentrate the mind on the altar and a prime location by the entrance into the interior for the font.
When we took on Old St Peters it was under threat of demolition and near derelict, with fixtures and fittings stripped away; now it is the workshop of Ben Finn, who helped us repair and breathe new life into the church. We are delighted that one of our most challenging of churches is now an exporter of great art to churches elsewhere.
- Page 2 of 2