We own three ancient ‘ruins’ (or ‘Scheduled Ancient Monuments’) and Eastwell St Mary is one of them. Only the 15th century tower and the 19th century chapel remain of the church, with an intriguing memorial to a Richard Plantagenet, supposedly son of Richard III, in the former chancel.
At St Andrew’s everything is roofless – as it has been since 1866 when a window was blown in during divine service. But this doesn’t stop this Grade II* church being used each August for an annual service held by local people.
Deep in the Golden Valley, on an unclassified road leading up from Peterchurch to Urishay Common, lies a building raised up from the road which looks for all the world like a barn. It is in fact the earliest purpose-built chapel to a castle in Herefordshire.