A Grade I listed 15th century former private chapel with a salmon pink interior and fine monuments to the Ayshford family. Approached via private farmland – take care not to shut inquisitive sheep in the church!
Ballidon All Saints sits in a tightly enclosed churchyard in the middle of a wide, open field. This bucolic setting, in which sheep and cattle graze, is an important archaeological site from the Early-Late Medieval period.
St Mary’s is famous for two products of the 15th century – the churchyard cross with its intricate biblical sculptures (which we don’t own) and, inside the church (which we do), the medieval rood screen and rare, elaborately panelled, loft above, from where it is believed the priest would have read the gospel during Holy Week.
Medieval Boveney St Mary was built to serve the bargees on the nearby River Thames and retains an atmospheric 18th and 19th century interior with box pews. It has an active group of Local Friends organising events and concerts in the church.
Priests at Hodgeston were fortunate in being provided with a finely carved tripartite seat (known as a sedilia) to repose on during the service. But this seat is rather special – it dates from the 14th century, was probably paid for by Bishop Henry de Gower (1328-47), and carved by the same craftsmen he employed at St David’s and Lamphey.
The remnant of a medieval village, in soft clunch and dating from the 14th and 15th centuries – Caldecote retains an elaborate canopied stoup, a fine font, and is host to a Fuchsia Festival each Summer.
We own three ancient ‘ruins’ (or ‘Scheduled Ancient Monuments’) and Eastwell St Mary is one of them. Only the 15th century tower and the 19th century chapel remain of the church, with an intriguing memorial to a Richard Plantagenet, supposedly son of Richard III, in the former chancel.
Earliest fabric 1217, reused medieval stonework, important 17th century cartouche to Downing family in S porch (founders of Downing College, Cambs). Most of extant work is that of 19th C …
A rare example of a surviving Arts and Crafts-influenced church by the architect John Coates Carter, re-invented from fragmentary medieval ruins in 1926-7 and characteristic of the architect’s later work in its use of indigenous materials and identifiably Welsh vernacular motifs.
St Mary used to be a wayside church, hugging the edge of the Great Cambridge Road until this was diverted. It is now a well-kept secret – the only sign leading to it reading simply ‘Byroad’. It passed to us after the heroic group that took it on when it closed sought a long-term solution.