A modest but evocative late Georgian Anglican box with Gothick windows, and a completely intact, single chamber interior. The chief joy is the painted and panelled pulpit and reading desk, the former so tall it almost touches the ceiling with its sounding board.
St Mark’s is barely glimpsed from the road, but once you are close, it reveals itself as the single most extraordinary exotic amongst our Welsh holdings. It dates from 1895-8 and is the work of the nationally important architect, Henry Wilson (1864-1934).
Despite the availability of level sites nearby, the church at Castlemartin is cut in to a steeply sloping rock bank outside the town centre. Perhaps the proximity to a stream …
Ballidon All Saints sits in a tightly enclosed churchyard in the middle of a wide, open field. This bucolic setting, in which sheep and cattle graze, is an important archaeological site from the Early-Late Medieval period.
St Mary’s is famous for two products of the 15th century – the churchyard cross with its intricate biblical sculptures (which we don’t own) and, inside the church (which we do), the medieval rood screen and rare, elaborately panelled, loft above, from where it is believed the priest would have read the gospel during Holy Week.
Medieval Boveney St Mary was built to serve the bargees on the nearby River Thames and retains an atmospheric 18th and 19th century interior with box pews. It has an active group of Local Friends organising events and concerts in the church.
St Michael and All Angels is a small church built of Old Red Sandstone rubble. Grade I listed, it is located in the peaceful setting of Llantrisant Fawr, Monmouthshire. The …
Standing in isolation at the end of its raised grassy causeway, and said to have been founded by St Peulan himself in the 6th century, Llanbeulan church dates from the 12th century and retains a rectangular Norman stone font of great significance – and much scholarly debate.
The remnant of a medieval village, in soft clunch and dating from the 14th and 15th centuries – Caldecote retains an elaborate canopied stoup, a fine font, and is host to a Fuchsia Festival each Summer.
Earliest fabric 1217, reused medieval stonework, important 17th century cartouche to Downing family in S porch (founders of Downing College, Cambs). Most of extant work is that of 19th C …