St John the Baptist is listed Grade II and was conveyed to the Friends in 2011 when no other solution could be found. Though it retains some Romanesque fabric, it was largely rebuilt in 19th century by its priest-architect, Father William Grey (1820-72).
A Grade I listed 15th century former private chapel with a salmon pink interior and fine monuments to the Ayshford family. Approached via private farmland – take care not to shut inquisitive sheep in the church!
Ballidon All Saints sits in a tightly enclosed churchyard in the middle of a wide, open field. This bucolic setting, in which sheep and cattle graze, is an important archaeological site from the Early-Late Medieval period.
Medieval Boveney St Mary was built to serve the bargees on the nearby River Thames and retains an atmospheric 18th and 19th century interior with box pews. It has an active group of Local Friends organising events and concerts in the church.
St Mary of the Angels is our first Roman Catholic church, and, as it was only completed in 1937, it is also our most modern vesting. Designed by WD Caroe at the end of his career, Brownshill has passed to us through the determination of local people to save it.
The remnant of a medieval village, in soft clunch and dating from the 14th and 15th centuries – Caldecote retains an elaborate canopied stoup, a fine font, and is host to a Fuchsia Festival each Summer.
An early 20th-century private chapel built in the Arts & Crafts style, and set in a chocolate box village in Wiltshire.
We own three ancient ‘ruins’ (or ‘Scheduled Ancient Monuments’) and Eastwell St Mary is one of them. Only the 15th century tower and the 19th century chapel remain of the church, with an intriguing memorial to a Richard Plantagenet, supposedly son of Richard III, in the former chancel.
St Denis’s is a Grade II* listed church. The earliest fabric dates to 1217, but much of the surviving medieval elements are from the 14th-century. Most of extant work is …
St Mary used to be a wayside church, hugging the edge of the Great Cambridge Road until this was diverted. It is now a well-kept secret – the only sign leading to it reading simply ‘Byroad’. It passed to us after the heroic group that took it on when it closed sought a long-term solution.