A modest but evocative late Georgian Anglican box with Gothick windows, and a completely intact, single chamber interior. The chief joy is the painted and panelled pulpit and reading desk, the former so tall it almost touches the ceiling with its sounding board.
St John the Baptist is listed Grade II and was conveyed to the Friends in 2011 when no other solution could be found. Though it retains some Romanesque fabric, it was largely rebuilt in 19th century by its priest-architect, Father William Grey (1820-72).
St Mark’s is barely glimpsed from the road, but once you are close, it reveals itself as the single most extraordinary exotic amongst our Welsh holdings. It dates from 1895-8 and is the work of the nationally important architect, Henry Wilson (1864-1934).
Medieval Boveney St Mary was built to serve the bargees on the nearby River Thames and retains an atmospheric 18th and 19th century interior with box pews. It has an active group of Local Friends organising events and concerts in the church.
We own three ancient ‘ruins’ (or ‘Scheduled Ancient Monuments’) and Eastwell St Mary is one of them. Only the 15th century tower and the 19th century chapel remain of the church, with an intriguing memorial to a Richard Plantagenet, supposedly son of Richard III, in the former chancel.
Earliest fabric 1217, reused medieval stonework, important 17th century cartouche to Downing family in S porch (founders of Downing College, Cambs). Most of extant work is that of 19th C …
Made special by its interior, medieval St Mary’s retains a complete circuit of 19th century scraffito decoration by Heywood Sumner, depicting the Benedictine – it is unique in Wales and listed Grade I. The architect for the 19th century rebuilding was John Dando Sedding.
The tiny little church at Llancillo, vested with us in 2007, is probably the most difficult of all our buildings to find – but the search is worth it. The key hangs in the porch but the door is only locked to keep out the sheep.
Dismayed by the ‘Low churchmanship’ of the nearby parish church, Mrs Louisa Harris decided to erect her own private chapel, and assembled a glittering array of artists to execute it. Architect: Sir Guy Dawber. Date: 1897.
Old St Luke, which sits in the same churchyard as the Victorian church that replaced it, was one of our very first vestings in 1974. It has survived against the odds, not least because it is one of the most loved of all our churches – with an active group of Local Friends.
- Page 1 of 2