Accessible only by foot, off a remote country road, Llantrisant dates from the 14th century, and is surrounded by a boundary wall so high it feels defensive. Maybe it is this sense of mystery that makes it one of the most remote but at the same time one of the most visited of all our churches.
For a tiny and once very forlorn church, St John the Baptist is now a hive of activity – with volunteer local friends organizing everything from a corn dolly workshop, to medieval music, to hedge-laying, to an exploration of English font stones. The ‘Spirit of Sutterby’ is an exemplar project bringing the community together.
The clue that you have arrived at St Beuno’s is the gloriously organic lychgate in slate, reconstructed in the 19th century but originally dated 1698. This structure alone testifies to the geological richness of the site, an elevated oval churchyard with monuments of all forms and status.
Dedicated to St Decumanus and dating from the 14th century, with an unusual plan including 3 chapels. In 1994 the oil refinery behind the church blew up and burned for 36 hours; the village was cleared and with no congregation left it was declared redundant and passed to the Friends in 2005.
An ancient and beautiful church glimpsed each day by hundreds of commuters on the East Coast Mainline in Cambridgeshire – and blessed with a very committed and energetic group of Local Friends.
- Page 2 of 2