St Andrew the Apostle
The chief joy is the painted and panelled pulpit and reading desk, the former so tall it almost touches the ceiling with its sounding board. There remains a complete set of box pews and an unusually elaborate memorial tablet against the east wall. This commemorates Morris Williams of Cwmgloyne, in the parish of Neverne, who died in 1840.
The interior also houses a modest twelfth century square font.
Bayvil is listed Grade II*.
In the article Dr Yates describes how the church is largely undocumented and thus cannot be precisely dated. However in 1813 and 1828 it was served by a non-resident minister, also vicar of the nearby parish at Molygrove and rector of Martletwy in South Pembrokeshire (who in fact lived at Emsworth, Hampshire). Dr Yates suggests that as the bell-cote at Bayvil is similar to that formerly at Eglwyswrw (where the curate lived), the church at Bayvil was built sometime between 1810 and 1830. The architect may have been David Evans of Eglwyswrw, a local architect with an office in Cardigan, who built other churches locally including those at Cilgerran and Llechryd.
In 1828 the church was described as being in “tolerable repair” and “tolerably furnished with all things convenient for the country church”. Dr Yates surmises that this is “neither confirms nor disproves a rebuilding within the previous fifteen years or so. Any date for the rebulding of the church is therefore highly speculative and, in view of the known conservative character of many rebuilding and restoration schemes in Wales throughout the nineteenth century, it could be later than 1830.”